Arriving and Day One!

Wow, okay sorry I have not been able to connect to the internet until today!

We arrived in Costa Rica just around 3:45 on Monday, very tired but ready. Below is the view from the airport.


We made our way through customs and then hopped on a bus to grab a snack before arriving at our homestays. We ate at the "Rosti Pollo." I had fried yuca (basically french fries), refried Black beans, fried platanos, and delicious guacomole! I was really hungry (of course) and enjoyed the appetizer Jacquelyn (the professor from Mizzou and our leader) ordered for us.


After hours of traffic, I finally was dropped at my homestay. I have a very small, but very comfortable room. And the house has wifi. I have my own bathroom and shower (lukewarm water) and have found it to be quite comfortable.





My Mama Tica is Yinette, and she is great. She cooks me breakfast and dinner. She is dating some famous guy from Uruguay, and therefore has quite the social life! She has told me a lot about Costan Rican life, and I am so happy I have a homestay.


The first night I slept a lovely 11 hours, and then got and went to school (had to be there at 8:00!). I took my placement test, and I am in a class with two other students. Our teacher, Gabriel, is really cool and we have spent most of the class just talking about nothing. Below is outside the school, in the garden area.



One Day 1, we only had a half day of school, and then we did scanvegnegr hunt around the city to orient ourselves. I think I have noly taken a bus twice in my life prior to this (not coutning the Max in Portland). I am proud to say I have navigated well and I am getting comfortable with San Jose. It's not a pretty city, but not ugly either. Below is a photo of the mountains surrounding the city, which are beautiful.


I got to experience some comida tipica, and I liked it. The drink, however, was disgusting. Like watered down strawberry milk. I wasn't really sure what I was ordering to be honest...oops



All of the drinks here are soooo sugary. All I really want is some water! But, they don't serve it very much.

We also went to the close mall, which is by far the tackiest nastiest thing I have ever been. Yes, worse than the Vancouver Mall. My Mama said that it was a bad mall full of ugly people, and I have to agree. I think, from how she described it, it is equivalent to a place full of white trash back in the US. I mean, check out the obnoxious Christmas Tree.


However, downtown had some cool architecure, like El Teatro Nacional (the national theatre). 


And look at the cute dog! He was chewing on a piece of wood. Reminded me of Lewie. 


Later, we went to our neighborhoods and figured out who lived near us, so we could takes busses and taxis together. Below is a view of my neighborhood.


Most of us hung out at a bar near my house (conveniently) until it was dark, then I went homeand ate dinner (ravoli). Later that night, some of us decided to explore a bit of the nightlife. We went to a bar (on a Tuesday night-HA). But, since it is Costa Rican break, it was decently crowded.

I am tired of being gawked at, but I am white. We are constantly being stared at- by men and women, boys and girls. However, everyone has been polite and helpful. Some people come up to us and speak English.

I went to bed exhausted and freezing, but ready for round dos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Como Grecia

Palacio Barolo

La valle de vino: Mendoza